Question
Posted by: Ronel | 2005/11/24

osteoporosis

I am 34 years and diagnosed as osteopenic. Can enough calcium supplements reverse this eventualy?

Dear Ronel
I surmise that the dr who is treating you will have discussed the various approaches with you such as taking oestrogen supplements, calcium, vit D and fluoride and various other preparations such as Fosamax? If not, please go back to the dr and ask him/her about these medications and supplements. Osteoporosis can't specifically be 'reversed' but with the correct treatment you will be able to halt the progression and possibly also replace some of the lost bone tissue. Regular weight-bearing exercises (with weights in a gym) can also prevent the progression of osteoporosis.