Question
Posted by: KATHRYN | 2004/10/21

osteoporosis

I had a Billroth2 operation 4 years ago which resulted in mal absortion and me being underweight. Current weight 75% of IBW. I underwent bloodtests last week and now the gastro enterologist referred me to the osteoporosis clinic for tests. I also had a histerectomy 17 years ago and do not use any hormone replacement therapy. Could the tests be as a precaution or can it be he picked something up from the blood tests? He also said the problem is not so big noe, but will get serious. Please help!!

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Kathryn
The fact that you are underweight and have not used any HRT post- hysterectomy does make you fall in a high risk group for osteoporosis. That is probably why your doctor is sending you for a bone density test. I must actually congratulate him on that as many doctors would not have thought about osteoporosis. What he meant about it not being serious now is that the quicker you start looking after your bones, the more effective the prevention.
regards