Question
Posted by: John | 2008/01/22

Osteopenie?

My mom just came back from hospital and apparently she got "Osteopenie" is it possible that somebody can explain to me what Osteopenie is?

I understand its the Afrikaans name so I have not had any luck searching on google trying to find out what it is.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Hi John
I already sent you an e-mail regarding this. Osteopaenia basically means that you are at the stage where you have lost some bone density, but it is not in the osteoporotic range yet. There are however various degrees of osteopaenia and depending on things like age, risk factors, degree of bone loss etc, treatment may or may not be initiated. You can contact me at the National Osteoporosis Foundation (021 931 7894) for more information.