Question
Posted by: Anneline | 2005/07/15

OSTEOPENIA of the HIPS - Woman aged 40

I am 40 years old. Yesterday I went for a DEXA Scan.

The results are confusing to me, as the problem only occurs in my hips - not my spine.

I was advised that my SPINAL bone mass density is NORMAL, but that my left and right HIPS are down to 84% and 85% respectively. In other words both HIPS are in the OSTEOPENIC range.

What I cannot understand is WHY? If my hips and spine both receive the same amount of calcium from my diet, why are my hips osteopenic, while my spine is normal? (I would think they should either both be normal, or both osteopenic).

Anneline, there is no law that says all your bones have to have the same density. If your calcium intake is just a little too low, just some of your bones will be affected. The hips are usually of the first ones that are affected. Good luck.