Question
Posted by: Liz | 2007/06/06

Osteopenia

I have just returned from a bone density screening and the results were a bit worrying. My spine is normal but both my hips are not and they fall onto the bottom rung of the BMD. I was advised to see my Doctor asap with the results. I'm 46 and started menopause at 42. What exactly does this mean for me? And how will it be treated?

Dear Liz
It may increase your risk for breaking a hip later on in life if you fall. Your doctor will probably give you something to stimulate bone growth.
Weight bearing exercise ( like walking) , following the right diet with enough calcium and vit D and avoiding sigarettes are important.
see http://www.medicinenet.com/osteoporosis/article.htm