Question
Posted by: Liesel | 2003/03/21

osteopaenic

Osteopaenic - not quite osteoparotic and requiring medication. I understand that I can re -build bonemass by walking with weights on my anlkes and legs. I am already a speed walker and have been for the past 6 years. If bonemass can be increased through walking with weights how do I go about it? I am 62 and otherwise fit and healthy.

Dear Liesel

I do not recommend the route of adding additional weights to your limbs while walking. The consequence of this could be altered force production resulting in muskuloskeletal injuries. At 62 your emphasis is to maintaining what bone mass you do have apart from walking doing some form of resistance training will also help.