Question
Posted by: marlene | 2007/05/12

Osteopaenia

My 8 year old son has Muscular Dystrophy. We recently found out he has as osteopaenia. How can I help him with his diet? He can only eat purreed foods.
Marlene

Dear Marlene
I am sorry to hear that you son suffers from muscular dystrophy and osteopenia. I would firstly recommend that you should consult a clinical dietitian to assist with a diet prescription for his special needs (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Osteopenia is defined as too little bone mass at any stage of the life cycle. It is usually associated with liver disease but in your son's case it may be due to insufficient intakes of calcium and vitamin D. The dietitian will advise how you can increase his intakes of these nutrients. He requires a high intake of calcium which is found in milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses. He should be able to drink milk and swallow slightly diluted yoghurt or drink Yogi-Sip. If this is not possible then he will need to take a calcium supplement and if necessary also a vitamin D supplement. The human body is capable of producing vitamin D if the skin is exposed to sunshine for 20-30 min a day. If possible let him sit outside for short periods so that his skin can be exposed to the sunlight.
But please do consult a dietitian so that he can obtain a diet prescription.