Question
Posted by: concerned | 2007/04/25

Osteoarthritis

My mom is 67 years old and is suffering from osteoarthritis,her doctor has informed her that the cartillage in both her knees is worn off completely. the pain is excrutiating for her and she is constantly taking medication to ease the pain. She is diabetic and has hypertension. Her local gov't hospital advises her that there is nothing that can be done ,she must just learn to deal with the pain.Please advise what supplements and anti inflammtories can she use to assist with pain and the arthritis.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Concerned
She probably needs bilateral knee replacements. Unfortunately the waiting lists at Government hospitals are extremely long. I don't know whether she has been referred to the Orthopaedic department at her hospital, but they should prescribe anti-infalammatory drugs like diclofenac (voltaren) or ibuprufen (Brufen). The diabetes and hypertension must also be well controlled as itcomplicates matters if not.
Supplements like Osteo-eaze or Arthro Choice are easily obtained from the local chemist- these drugs contain chondroitin and glucosamine sulphate - and many people actually feels better on them.
The Arthritis Foundation tel 0861303030 should also be able to give some advice.