Question
Posted by: bones | 2007/03/13

osteoarthritis

I have always been proud that I am very active. The last 2 years I have hip pains. At times my legs get lame and wobbly. I am very active still and walk up to 10km per day(construction site) I do some physical work at times as well. At 46 I did not expect this. In the mornings I drink Celebrex and want to take up bodybuilding now. My hips are painful but I intend postponing hip replacemnet 2 years hence minimum. Is it possible that I can damage nerves in this process? What can I take to help me slow down this osteoarthritis thing and to ease the pain?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Bones
I presume you have had a rheumatologist examine you thoroughly?
Was the hip- replacements suggested by your doctor?
Some form of stretching exercises like Pilates does help many people in keeping their joints more mobilised- remember the cartilege in the joints erodes away as we age- normal wear and tear process. In some people just more so than others. You can do these exercises in conjunction with other exercise. A bio-kineticist or physiotherapist can be of help.
I think you need the opinion of an orthopaedic surgeon regarding the state of your hips and whether an operation is necessary.

1
Posted by: Sharon | 2007/04/04

I have also been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. I was prescribed Celebrex - which I refuse to take (no anti-inflams for me). I take 2 x 3 Flaxseed with Omega 3, 6 & 9 oil capsules daily and found that it reduced the pain so much that when I do feel any pain, 2 Pinados will do the trick.
Good luck and all the best.

Reply to Sharon