Question
Posted by: Christal | 2007/04/26

Orthopaedic surgeons vs Neurologist

Good day,

I am quit in a predicament. I have problems with my back, and have constant pain for sometimes day’s on end, sometimes it disappears but would then just return with drastic pain. For example: I pulled something in my lower right back Mon morning, had extreme pain until last night (had problems sleeping again) but this morning I am feeling much better.

I have had several treatments over the years with Physiotherapist and Chiropractors have been given medicine from Robaxin to Voltarin to Valium and Trepaline, but nothing seems to really ease or take the pain away permanently.

I was told by my GP to try a Neurosurgeon or Neurologist or an Orthopaedic Surgeon. My problem now is, I don’t know which one to see as I unfortunately cannot go to all of them as they are very expensive and fully booked.

Could you please advice me on which specialist I must see and what the difference is between them, as I have now booked an appointment with a Neurosurgeon as I don’t want to work my way up, I rather want to start from the top so that they cant refer me to someone higher and more specialised than them!

Dear Christal
A neurosurgeon will be the person to see if you need a back operation, the neurologist would be able to find the problem but won't be able to operate and the orthopedic surgeon the same. I rather agree with your way of thinking!