Question
Posted by: mo | 2006/07/13

Organic foods vs. GM foods

I read the article on the benefits of organic foods. Very interesting for those that do not know about these farming practices. I understand that these organic foods are a better alternative, but a very important point was raised at the end of the article, that organic foods aer more expensive and will certainly not answer the world's hunger problems. As a biotechnologist, I can agree on the benefits of organic foods, but must also point out that it is a selfish way of thinking, since only therich can benefit from them.
I must also make the point that genetically modified crops addresses the problem of pesticides. With this technology, farmers do not have to use pesticides at all, and so they are no different, if not safer than organic crops, which invariably involves the use of some pesticides, no matter what the organic farmers may preach. GM foods are also equal in protein and nutrition content, confirmed by stringent tests that are required before these crops are released into the markets.
It is clear that GM crops offer a more economical and viable approach at addressing world hunger than organic farming practices.
Organic crops have become the subject of attention because of the profits that can be attained from them. As was mentioned in the article, supermarket chains have climbed on the bandwagon and are marketing these foods to the rich, claiming it as the answer to all health problems.
People need to educate themselves and understand that GM crops are not harmful, and the controversy and propaganda surrounding them is a result of european foreign and agricultural policies. Thats the only reason these crops are claimed to be harmful so that they can be kept out of Africa, meaning European farmers are able to dump excess crops into Africa, without worrying about Africa feeding itself through high yielding, pest and droughtresistant crops.
Think about it...do some research.

Dear MO
Thank you for this contribution. I am also in favour of GM-crops, which you will see if you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search for 'Genetically Modified Foods' and read the articles I have written on this subject.