Posted by: snoopy | 2008/08/27

orbitrek workout

Dear Doc,
I am about 24 kilo' s overweight. I weighed 84 kilos and am 1.65 meters tall, medim to small frame. I am 36 years old I have joined weighless and have lost 6 kilo' s in the past month. I have bought an Orbitrek to do some exercises for I have 3 year old twins and cannot go to a gym. I just wanted to know if 4 -5 x 40minute sessions on the Orbitrek a week is enough exercise to help with my weightloss. Is it true that training with weights is better for weightloss than a cardio workout.
Thank you for a great site.

Dear Snoopy
Thank you for your kind words about the site and congratulations for losing those 6 kgs and for using a sensible diet and exercise to lose this weight. To answer your last question first: cardio exercises like running, jogging, brisk walking, skipping, spinning, cycling and swimming burn more energy than working with weights, so cardio exercise is by far the better type of exercise to assist with weightloss. You can do 70-80% of your exercise using cardio workouts and need only about 20% of working with weights to firm up flabby muscles and build muscles. I am not sure if the Orbitrek does use up enough energy to make a difference and you should perhaps consider buying a skipping rope to skip every day for 30 min or more. Start slowly for a short period and then increase how long and fast you skip as you get fitter.
Good luck with the weightloss

Posted by: higgy | 2008/09/18

I think it was a great ideato buy the the orbitrekforget the skipping rope it just bad for the knees the orbitrek is much,easier on the joints.

Reply to higgy