Question

Oratane

I have been using Oratane for the past five months. I suspect that I might be pregnant - would my unborn child definitely have abnormalities?
Is there any chance that the baby can be normal if I stop drinking the tablets now?

Dear Anon
No if there is damage it is already done. Oratane is regarded as highly teratogenic meaning that there is a great risk of very severe malformation of the foetus (involving in particular the central nervous system, the heart and the large blood vessels). There is also an increased risk of spontaneous abortion. If pregnancy does occur, the doctor and patient should discuss the advisability of continuing the pregnancy ( i.e. abortion).
Typical abnormalities found were:
water on the brain, under developed brain, abnormal ears, abnormal eyes, abnormal heart development, abnormal face, thymus and parathyroid gland abnormalities
I know of 1 case of a woman who had a normal baby after taking Oratane, so if you are anti-abortion, you could continue the pregnancy stop the oratane immediately but inform your gyne and go for regular foetal sonars.
Please discuss with a gyne as soon as possible!