Question
Posted by: Tounge | 2007/06/06

Oral Thrush

Hi Doctor

I wrote a while back re oral thrush as i said all my blood tests for all sorts are neg,and generally am in good health,carrying about 10kgs over for my height.

About 4 weeks ago after using drops for a month it cleared now about a month later the tongue is starting to get thrush again.Why wont it go please i am at a loose end.

Thanks for your time

Jack

Dear Jack
Thrush is a commensal organism in our bodies, so we always have the "germ" living on us - it sometimes gets unbalanced and takes over. If you know that you don't have diabetes and your immunity is normal, you can treat it with Mycostatin drops as soon as it starts. If you wear dentures - it may be that the denture antiseptic fluid precipitates this. A dry mouth caused by medication can also be the culprit.