Question
Posted by: Mon | 2008/01/23

Optimal skin care at 23

I am a 23 y.o female with a history of acne (during my teens) which has now been controlled on Yasmin and Androcur. I have mild scarring (a bit of uneven texture and some ice-pick marks on my cheeks and forehead). I am currently using Cetaphil gentle cleanser and as my moisturiser Regim A Quantum Elastin Dermal Regenerator. I went for a few Regim A peels but didnt notice much of a difference as far as my scars were concerned. I occasionally use an eye cream. My skin tends to feel oilier in summer (cheeks tend to be drier).

Could you please advise me on which products/what sort of products I should be using to ensure that I am taking good care of my skin whilst doing my bit to prevent ageing.

Would you recommend Fraxel treatments for my scarring? What is the approximate cost I would be looking at for this treatment?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Mon, thank you for the question.

I am a firm believer in alphahydroxy (in particular glycolic acid) and polyhydroxy acids, combined with an adequate SPF (must contain either zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) and anti-oxidants.
Your best approach would be to consult an aesthetic practitioner, or a cosmetic dermatologist who can examine the areas that concern you and advise you with the best treatment plan.

My personal choice, and following from your description, would be to start the NeoCeutical range (from NeoStrata) for oily/acne prone skin. More specifically the face wash, Oil Control Gel, and the moisturizers with SPF are all oil free and will provide you with a basic start in your anti-ageing regime. However, Environ, Nimue, etc. all have products that should suite your skin type.
Superficial chemical peels (such as glycolic acid) have been shown to have some benefit (as effective as Jesner Peels) in reducing the appearance of mild to moderate acne scarring, but this is only noted with a complete coarse over 6 to 12 months.

Furthermore, my choice for treating small areas of scarring is the Syneron Matrix IR Non-Ablative Laser for the following reasons:
No downtime is experienced as the outer layer of the skin is not affected (no scabbing, weeping or redness).
A relatively comfortable treatment option as one rarely needs to apply anesthetic cream (may do so for added comfort over the forehead, eye area, etc.).
Specific areas may be treated as there is no skin tone or colour change thereby reducing the need of treating the whole face.
There is a reduced risk of scarring, hyper and hypo pigmentation following any complications.
If one adds the skin rejuvenation applicator for treating the whole face, one can expect a very good end result.

However, there is nothing stopping you in choosing the Fraxel as a treatment option, for the uneven texture and scarring. One can expect a relatively painful treatment and the need for anesthetic cream prior to treatment is a must. Furthermore, you will experience 3 to 5 days of downtime (mild scabbing of the treated areas). The cost varies from doctor to doctor, but my advice would be to get a direct word of mouth referral, and not necessarily go for the cheapest quote.

1
Posted by: nic | 2008/03/13

Hello,
I am a 26 year old female who has been suffering from PCOS from the age of 17. I suffer from acne, hot flushes, hirsutism, and several other effects caused by PCOS.
I have tried everything, but what really helped me was Diane 35. I took for a year, ten got off. I returned back to it a couple of months later to find out that it didnt work on me anymore, in terms of acne, hirsutism. I am now on Androcur 50 mg AND Diane 35. It has helped me, but I an thiking of changing birth control pills, as i feel I have been on the same one for a while now.
I am thinking of changing Diane 35 to Yasmine. Therefore, I would be taking Yasmine and androcur 50.
Any suggestions on that?
Nic

Reply to nic