Question
Posted by: Tilli | 2005/01/04

Opinions please....Natural Birth vs Ceasar

Hi there ladies,
I have a history of bladder problems (recurring cystitus, they went in and split the urethra, bladder looks very unhealthy, was constantly on antibiotics, bladder does not empty completely, sometimes goes into spasm etc etc), at that stage uriologist said vaginal delivery would put so much pressure on bladder that I could struggle with incontinence forever after. I am now 26 weeks pregnant and my bladder has been okay, just one bad infection, a few incontinent sessions and a few spasming sessions where bladder is full but I can't go...I need to start thinking about which birth route to go - my gynae is very supportive of it being my decision - but has concerns re my bladder too.
I am concerned that ceasar is not the best for the baby, and being a major op for me? I would appreciate any opionions, particulary from women who have had both, and women who have had bladder difficulties!
Thanks so much and all the best for 2005.

If you have ahd bladder surgery, a vaginal birth could interfere with this and cause recurrent problems later. You would probably be better off with a caesarean.

3
Posted by: www | 2005/01/04

Hi there,

Tilli, I believe that this is a very personal choice - one that people get very emotional about because every single person believes that they chose what was right for them.

I have had two babies - one is 11 years old now and the other is almost 20 months. I had both naturally. The first without epidural because things went way too quicly for an epidural to kick in and the second time I opted for the epidural only by the time I was about 7cm dilated. It went just as quickly from there on - by the time the epidural kicked in properly, I was fully dilated and could push very comfortably through 4-5 contractions and my baby was born. No tears, episiotomy, nothing. I was so relaxed that myself, my hubby, the one sister and the gynae were all joking around between contractions. It was the most amazing experience I've ever had in my life. If I had it all to do over again, I'd do it like that again - holding off on the epidural until I feel like I cannot hold off any longer, and then have it so I can just relax a couple of minutes until the pushing contractions come.

Half an hour Iater I was sitting up with my baby in my arms and about another hour later the epidural had worn off completely (the doc knew just how much to give because I was progressing so quickly so I wasn't numb forever).

A friend of mine has had 4 kids, all naturally and she wouldn't do it any other way either. I'm not one of those people that think you don't "bond" with your baby if you have a ceasarian - I don't think that's true at all. The bonding happens before and after the birth. Honestly, during the birth mostly everyone just wishes it were over and done with - whichever way you choose to go.

This is an extremely important decision for you to make, since YOU and you alone have to feel comfortable with your choice and prepare yourself mentally for whichever. But also remember that sometimes choices don't even count in the end. You might want one or the other very badly but due to circumstances may end up doing exactly the opposite, in which case you should just remember that whatever is the safest for your baby.

Don't let anyone influence you about this - people always have horror-stories about natural as well as c-section child birth, but read up on the internet - read a wide variety of birth stories (like on www dot birthstories dot com) and keep an open mind while reading them, then make a choice based on what you feel in your heart. Remember that whichever option you take, you'll not be alone - people will surround you that have been through it with hundreds/thousands of other people and that know what to expect.

Good luck making your decision and enjoy your pregnancy. You can also (if you haven't already) subscribe for free at a site like babycentre dot co dot uk and you'll get a weekly update in your inbox on what your baby now looks like and how he/she develops - it helps you bond with your baby so much more even, because you know almost exactly what's going on inside you.

Enjoy

Reply to www
Posted by: twink | 2005/01/04

I agree with Mommy, you bond with your baby before its born!
I also had a c section and was up and going in no time. It is a small cut above the bikini line - and heals in no time.
If you might have problems afterwards with normal birth - rather opt for the c section - it is not so bad at all.

Reply to twink
Posted by: Mommy | 2005/01/04

Hi there. My first choice was to have a natural birth. I went into labour on the Friday morning (I had a show) and I gradually started to feeling the pains until about 23:00 the evening when I went to hospital when I had regular pains. On Saturday morning I was sent home because I still didn't dialated, although I had pains (one every 6 minutes). The Saturday evening I went back to hospital and again - I haven't dialated yet. The Saturday night they gave me an injection to put me into labour or out of it. The Sunday morning I dialated 3cm and I was very tired. I got my epidural and waited another 5 hours and then I was only dialated 5 cm. Baby was pressing with the front of her head and not the back of her head. My gynea decided that I must rather have a ceaser. The whole operation took about 15 minutes and everything was running very smoothly - everyone just know what to do. Half an hour later I was breastfeeding my baby. I felt uncomfortable for only the first day, but soon feeding my baby was my only concern. My scar is very low on my bikini line and it recovered very quickly.
Believe me, if I can choose over, I would have chosen a ceaser from the start. I had no trouble bonding with my baby and breasfeeded very sucessfully.

Reply to Mommy