Question
Posted by: Theresa | 2003/12/03

Opinions on when to inform employer about being pregnant

We have decided to wait to tell the rest of the family and friends about my pregnancy until 12 weeks have passed. This also counts for my employer. Do you think that I should tell my employer before the 12 weeks are up or rather wait and announce to everyone at the same time? What are the opinions out there?
Are there any benefits of telling your employer so early?
It is very difficult to keep such exciting news a secret. My poor Mother is bursting to tell all!
(I am 9 weeks 4 days today) - so not too long to wait.

Your opinions all help.

Theresa

Waiting three weeks before telling your employer should not be a problem.

3
Posted by: Theresa | 2003/12/03

Thanks for the input Norma and Kate. It is always so nice to get the input from others quickly instead of waiting till the next day to get a response from the Doc.

Don't get me wrong, the Docs input is also as important! Thanks!

Thinking that I will tell my boss and ask him not to tell the others until I am ready - as I feel that it is unfair that I tell my collegues before the more important family.

Thanks again

Theresa

Reply to Theresa
Posted by: Kate | 2003/12/03

I didn't keep my pregnancy a secret, don't see the point. If you did miscarry then you would have to tell your family and close friends anyway. You wouldn't want to go through that alone. But that is a personal choice, I just can't keep a secret :-)

I told my employer at 7 weeks as I was already showing. Everyone has been very nice to me and it has prepared my employer for the fact that I 'm only working until end Jan. Maybe mid Feb. I won't be coming back to work and my company does not offer any maternity benefits anyway. They also painted the office after I told them I was pregnant and they were very considerate to me and made sure that I wasn't affected by the paint fumes etc. I think it is better to just tell everyone and be as open and honest about it. Some employers may find the fact that you have been keeping it a secret from them annoying. But then again, you are entitled to do what suits you.

Best of luck!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Norma | 2003/12/03

Well, we also wanted to keep it a secret upto 12 weeks, but we just couldnt, we kept it for 4 days. You must be very good not to tell, but if that's what you want, just wait and tell everyone at the same time, including your employer.
I think it is beter to tell your employer as soon as possible (after 12 weeks if you want) he/she must also make arrangements.

Reply to Norma