Question
Posted by: Feroza | 2005/12/12

opinion

I have noticed that every time colleagues come to my office when im on the telephone i hang up and attend to them but then when i go to their offices they neva hang up on my account as a result i always just go in and when i see someone is on the fone i excuse my self without disturbing. I dont know thats how i feel it should be done but on the other hand they stand there and wait for me to finish as a result i cut my calls. Is this rude? Y dont they do the same when its their calls. This is irritating. I dont even try to make out whether its personal or not when someone is on the fone i respect that and dont disturb UNLESS its really really urgent. What is the rite way?

Its complex, isn't it ? I get annoyed when I am in a shop and the person attending to me, stops doing so to take a phone-call, and leaves me standing around to 10 minutes while they give priority to the guy on the phone.
In the office, the person on the phone knows who s/he is talking to and how important it is ; they may not know why the person visiting their office is there, which may or may not be more important. I think the best is for them to ask the person on the phone to wait briefly, to check with you about what you have come about, then weight up the urgency and importance of the call versus the visitor, and either tell the caller that something important has come up, and attange to call them back shortly, or to tell you the phone-call is rather urgent, and ask you to come back in 10 minutes.
And if the phone-call is a private one, the work isitor should ALWAYS take precedence

2
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/12

i see it as "first come first served"... if someone is on the phone you wait for them to finish... i also don't necesarily answer the phone every time it rings... if I am busy with someone else the phone could wait (obviously, this is dependent on business requirements though).........

If you are talking to someone they deserve your full attention.... and people who expect you to hang up a call just because they happen to walk into your office are rude........

Obvioulsy... you need to keep private phone calls a different priority during working hours though..... it would be rude to keep your manager waiting for an hour while you make weekend plans with your buddy.............

Reply to ...
Posted by: Deubel | 2005/12/12

You wait until the phone call is finished. The party on the phone should decide whether or not to cut off the call, it is not for you to decide which is more important at that stage as you do not know what the real situation is.

Reply to Deubel