Question
Posted by: pinkie | 2007/06/07

Operation

Hi, i am a 22 year old woman. I am going for a foot operation, a bunionectomy to be exact. I have learnt there are some risks involved in general anasthesia, especially if you are a smoker-wich i am. I would like to know how long before the operation i should quit in order to minimize the risks. My current date for the operation is on the 19th of June, but i would rather reschedule in order to minimize any risks! Thank you so much!

Expert ImageArchive

You should quit for good, all the bad things you have heard about smoking are TRUE.
Quit immediately, and remember to discuss with the Doctor as weel as the anaesthatist the fact that you are a smoker as they "may"require preop chest x-rays or physio or to take other orecautions
hope this helps