Question
Posted by: Pluto | 2007/03/27

only 1 dog

A lot of people are telling me Im cruel because I only got one puppy and she is our only dog. She is alone for 3 days a week (during the day) otherwise there is always someone around. We take her for walks 3 times a week. She has loads of toys and chewy treats and a comfy kennel and all that....what do you guys think? Is it cruel

No. Lots of people have only one dog for a number of reasons: financial, space, preference etc.

5
Posted by: Pluto | 2007/03/28

Hi Bashers Mom!

Daisy is just the cutest thing ever, and she is growing so quickly, she is definitely going to be a big boerboel, but she is absolutely georgeous.

We're definitely not going to get another dog at this stage, one is keeping us more than busy at this stage ;0)

Reply to Pluto
Posted by: Kate | 2007/03/28

Hi there Pluto.

How is Daisy doing?
Once again people are putting a "human" feeling onto the subject.
Besides your dog is still young and I believe that when dealing with a pet (ie like a boerbul) that can be an "agressive" type of dog you want that dog to bond with you and for you to be the pack leader.
Bringing in another puppy will lead to your dogs becoming a pack and possible leaving you out the loop.

I got another puppy when my original pup was only 4 months old.
The 2nd pup bonded with the 1st pup before she bonded with me it actually took her about 4 weeks before she even acknowledged me LOL
Then of course my 1st pup bullied her and she learnt to play rough - so any interaction we do with other dogs I have to watch her as her rough behavior gets her into a lot of trouble.

If you do plan on getting another dog wait until your pup is about 1.

As for puppy socializing and behavior classes - definately the way to go.
She might be a big dog but she could still be a companion dog - I can just picture your dog sitting in a convertable cruising alongside of you LOL.

Don't feel guilty.

Basher's Mom
Kate

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Butterfly | 2007/03/27

Find out about puppy classes, so that your pup learn to socialise with other pups - are introduced to loud sounds etc. - puppy will be a better dog when adult - some pups left alone tend to become scared of noises being quiet at home most of the times.......
Just overall better for them - take her to basic dog obedience classes after that (aged 6 months)!!
Very nice for dog and you..... :-)
Enjoy your puppy

Reply to Butterfly
Posted by: WR | 2007/03/27

Hi there!

Don't stress - if your dogs shows signs of being stressed when you get home - you could actually worsen it by getting another dog (sometimes) - so if it aint broken...!
Some people never leave their dogs by themselves and these dogs can also be 'alone' or 'lonely' because of lack of the right kind of attention.

Enjoy the pup! She sounds fine!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/03/27

i don't think you are cruel, ok maybe your pup get a little lonely when you aren't there but in comparison to other pet owners you are spending a heck of a lot more time with your pup.

To be honest doggies don't really do much when their owners aren't home, they might entertain themselves for a while, or guard the house or bark at strangers, but they mostly or at least pretty much, sleep and wait for you to come.

othes may disagree with me, but unless your pup is actually showing signs of being lonely or stressed because of being alone i don't think you have to worry about being cruel.

only get another pup if you are completely sure it is what you want , not becuase you were pressured due to other peoples opinions.

Good luck and enjoy your pup

Reply to Blaah