Posted by: Gail | 2009/10/10


Some years ago through a work audiometry exam, it was discovered that I did not hear as well in the right ear as the left. Over the years it is becoming more pronounced and now listening to a telephonic conversation is difficult with the right ear. On occasion, I also have the rhythmic bell-like sound in the right ear (tinnitus ?). I am 55. Is this just the ongoing old-age thing that can be aided by using a hearing aid at a later stage, or is it something else that I need to do now.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Gail

One sided hearing loss could be abnormal and should be investigated by an ENT surgeon. You need a full audiogram and an investigation that may involve some radiologigal investigations. If all is normal, you may indeed benefit from a hearing aid. Your audiologist will be able to assist you in that regard.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.