Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2004/02/04

One more thing please..(re: 7023)

Doc,

Is it true that we turn out like our folks.? My parents have been together for 35years and his are divorced. His mother has divorced twice and she lives alone. His father lives with some girlfriend. Im not used to strife and arguments at home. I want what my parents have.

Dear CIndy,
Fortunately, we are not doomed to turn out like our folks. We can chose to emulate their best behaviours and follow their advice, and use them as role models, but even then, our lives are different and wil turn out differently, for better or worse. we are influenced by what we see while growing up, so maybe he hasn't had good examples of loving family problem-solving to learn from, but that doesn't mean he needs to behave as his folsk did, or that divorce is likely in his life, as it was in theirs.