Question
Posted by: Thea | 2003/12/06

On HRT due to ovarian failure

Hi GynaeDoc,
In 1998 my GP discovered after a blood test that I had an ovarian failure.( I decided to go for blood tests after I realised something must be wrong because I'm short tempered, irritable, insomnia, depression etc. There was so much I can't name them all. The results showed that my hormonelevels was between 0 - 70.) Then the doctor subscribe Premarin 0.625mg which I had to take for 3 months and then blood tests again to see if the levels is better. Tests was done still low I must go on 12.5mg(1999)then I got a funny rash on my skin back to 0.625mg. Then in 2002 blood tested again still to low must alternate 12.5mg and 0.625mg.Three weeks ago tested again, but only estradiol and it was then 80, I was told it has to be ±200. The Gp suggested that I go on 12.5mg every day. Can it only be estradiol that can effect you so much or is there other hormones that can be low that can affect your body so much because the symtoms haven't change it is still the same? Maybe you can give me a answer. Is there any other bloodtests tha can be done? I'm really sick and tired feeling the way I'm feeling I want to be normal again I'm batteling for so long.

Thea

If you have ovarian failure, it means that you have reached the menopause and your ovaries are no longer producing hormones as they used to. A lack of oestogen is the main thing that causes symptoms, but low testosterone can cause some symptoms too, usually a low libido. I am not sure exactly what your symptoms are. If they are mainly irritability and depression, these may not be related to hormones. There may be social and psychological factors in the background. Perhaps you should look into this. In terms of your hormone replacement, if you are having problems, I would suggest that you consult a gynaecologist.