Posted by: Buddy | 2008/10/23

On Diet, but pick up weight

Hi Do. I am totally unfit and overweight. I only got married at 40 and then only started using the pil for the 1st time in my life and my weight just went up. I recently started dieting and exercising. Breakfast - Cornflakes with youghurt and black coffee, Lunch - glass of Shape, 3pm an appel and Supper had with family - piece of meat with veggies. Drinking water. Exercise I did a bit of gym work (home), 10 min of taebo, then situps and pushups. I then picked up weight instead of losing. I am now totally dispondent. Please help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Buddy
The use of hormonal contraceptives can either cause pronounced weight gain (as in your case) or weightloss depending on the individual's reaction. I think that you should discuss what type of contraceptive you use with your gynae to see if there are any other options that do not cause weight gain. As the dr to check your hormones (thyroid, insulin and female hormones) to see if you suffer from an hormonal imbalance. If you do suffer from insulin resistance then please consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so add more aerobic exercises (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming) to your daily routine.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.