Question
Posted by: Denise | 2004/01/13

Omega 3 and Omega 6 deficiency

My ten year old son is allergic to nuts, seeds, fish and eggs. I am very concerned that he is deficient in Omega 3 and 6 oils. I assume flaxseed oil is a 'seed'. Could you please help me with any food sources that you feel that he would be able to tolerate. I do put cold-pressed olive oil on his food, if this helps.
many thanks
Denise

Dear Denise
Yes, this is quite a problem. It is difficult to say if the factor your son is allergic to would occur in oils produced from flaxseed or salmon. It is possible that he reacts to certain proteins in the list of foods that cause his allergy and this protein may not be extracted in the oils. Omega 6 can be obtained from Evening Primrose, or sunflower or maize oils, while omega-3 is also found in canola and soya oils. Olive oil is mainly a source of monounsaturated fatty acids. I hope that your son does not react to the above mentioned substitutes for flaxseed and salmon oils.