Question
Posted by: Curious | 2004/11/05

Olives, lots of olives

Hi Doc,

I recently discovered olives, and enjoy them so much eat about 30 at a single sitting, perhaps 2-3 times a week. I know they are healthy, but you know the old saying of "too much of a good thing". Can you eat too many of these?
The other question, everyone has a giggle at me, telling me theyre aphrodisiacs. Are they proven so, or an old wives tale?

Dear Curious
Olives are an excellent food which is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and dietary fibre which are good for the heart. They have a moderate energy content of 115 cal or 480 kJ per 100g, so if one olive weighs about 5g then 30 x 5 = 150g and contains 173 cal or 720 kJ, which could cause weight gain if eaten too often. Try cutting down to 20 olives at a time. Moderation is really the key to everything.
Seeing that the brain is the largest erogenous organ in the body, the belief that olives are an aphrodisiac will certainly make people feel more sexy.
Enjoy