Question
Posted by: Marcail | 2004/01/07

Olive oil ???

Hello doctor,
I'm just curious... my Gran takes a teaspoon of olive oil every morning. She insists that it is good for her. Is she right?

Dear Marcail
Olive oil is an excellent food - rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and vit E, which both help to keep hearts healthy. My grandfather did the same and lived to be 98 - so this may be a good idea.

2
Posted by: John | 2004/01/08

If you can have cod liver oil neat then you can surely have olive oil or any other oil neat. There is really no reason why a person cannot have fats and oils neat - as long as their digestive system can handle it.

The digestive system can only produce a certain amount of enzyme per day to process fats and oils. If you have too much then you will feel sick and nauseous.

The body needs essential fats and oils to function correctly - one should not skimp on the amount of fats and oils added to salads and food. Your body will tell you when you have had too much oil.

Also fats and oils do not make you fat - in order to maintain correct weight you need to restrict your intake of carbohydrate. In fact the essential fatty acids are required for correct endocrine function which produces hormones which regulate weight.

Reply to John
Posted by: Hamz | 2004/01/07

Well Olive oil is a healthy kind of fat, but yet it is still fat. It's good to have with salads, but having it neat is another matter.
Cod liver oil would be a better preference.
Rgds

Reply to Hamz