Question
Posted by: Annie | 2007/04/20

Oligohydramnios

In 2005 I was diagnosed with endometriosys. In March of that year I went for a laporoscopy. 5 months later I got pregnant. I went for scans every 4 weeks. In week 23 my gynea diagnosed Oligohydramnios in the fetus. There were no kidneys present. I underwent a hysterotomy. What causes this? I can't find any medical explanation and no-one is able to assist me. Should the gynea not have picked up on it earlier in pregnancy? When does the kidneys start to develop? Should I be concerned that 10 months after my last laparoscopy I'm still not pregnant?

Dear Annie

I can only speak for the fertility aspects and that is that it is yet to early to be overtly concerned about a fertility problem. I am not sure if your laparoscope was done recently i.e. 10 months ago or if you are referring to a previous laparoscope in 2005. In any case one should wait at least a full year before starting full-scale fertility investigations. However, in the interim you could start using ovulation monitoring kits such as clearplan and timed intercourse to speed up the process. With respect to the oligohydramnios and kidney anomalies I recommend that you refer this question to the gynaecologist on the Health 24 forum.