Question
Posted by: Alet | 2006/04/19

Older cats vs puppy boerboel/labrador

I have 4 cats ages between 2 and 9 years. Recently got a puppy boerboel/labrador mix (for safety)and she is now 3 and a half months old. Got her when she was 6 weeks old.
How do I get her NOT to chase the cats? It seems she wants to play but at times the hair on her back are raised. The cats are slowly but surely getting used to the intruder...
The youngest cat running away as she approach(chasing start) and the older cats stand their ground.
A handful, but I really want to keep all of them happy.
Hope you can help.

Hi Alet

I would suggest you do not allow your pup to chase the cats as when she is a bigger dog, she could do some damage.
The best is to cause a startle responce, in other words, you should take a bunch of keys, water pistol with citronella oil in or a tin with coins or stones in and throw them at the dog. The most important thing is for her to not see the "discipline" coming from you. In her mind she should start putting 2 and 2 together and realise that each time she chases the cats the keys fall from the sky and "bite" her. This is very important because if she sees it coming from you, then she will only chase the cats when you are not around. This works really well as I have done it with my own dog.
CDV
Animal Behaviourist

1
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/04/19

The best way to get a dog to chase you is to run, so unless the cats learn not to do this, you're going to have a hard time. If the dog isn't hurting the cats, then leave it.

Reply to Acineth