Question
Posted by: scooter | 2003/12/08

Old Labrador x boxer

My labrador X Boxer turned 10 in October, and she had, or so we thought, Tick Bite fever. We do not have a vet in town - so with the help of the local SPCA inspector we gave her the necesary injections, and the next day she was fine. Two weeks after, se seemed to be constant tired, always panting - even when it is cold, and she just want to lay down. She is losing some weight - but eat fairly well.
The panting worrys me - any sugestions?

Ooh, they are so many possibilities, I can only guess. If the gums are very pale, she may have severe anaemia, and that makes dogs tired and causes panting. Boxers also have heart problems which can cause similar symptoms. Any disease that causes excessive lethargy and tiredness may also contribute. As you can see, I can only guess. The symptoms are not specific to any particular disease.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town