Question
Posted by: Lindie | 2006/07/26

Old kitty

Hallo

It.s so nice to have a CyberVet back! Welcome.

My cat is almost 15 and is certainly getting on. He seems to be quite healthy and although he sleeps most of the day, he does run around the garden and lie in the sun. There has never been enything wrong with his appetite. I have noticed that he is drinking a lot of water - could this also be a sign of diabetes in cats? He did have a blood test earlier this year and it came up negative.

Lindie

Increased drinking can be due to: increased day time temperature, kidney disease and diabetes. In diabetes the surgar in the urine causes more urine to be produced while in kidney disease the kidney is not functioning properly so more water is lost. These are the more common causes. Some medications will make animals urinate more (for example heart medication and steriods) There are less common causes that your vet can test for.

2
Posted by: SUN | 2006/07/27

Have your kitty checked by your vet - def. could be kidneys. If you attend to it early, medication can sort it out and kitty can live for quite a few years. My kitty went to heaven last year at the age of 19.Good luck. Why can cats/dogs not live as long as we do?

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Shadow | 2006/07/26

Could be diabetes or kidney probs. Kidney failure can only be diagnosed once the kidneys are two-thirds gone, so even if the test is negative, it might be early-stage kidney failure. My 15-year-old Chinchilla died of that last year. But if it's still in an early stage she might still live well for a long time.

Reply to Shadow