Question
Posted by: Mini | 2003/12/06

Old Dog

I have a female german shepard who is 9 years old. Recently I noticed some sores on her right hip. When I tried to treat the sore she snapped at me as it must have been very painful. I managed to restrain her and while cleaning the sores I noticed that it had spread all the way to her chest l. A friend told me that it was some type of cancer and that she will have to be put down. Any ideas on what to do and if she has to be put down how do I go about it?

German Shepherd dogs are very prone to infection of the skin, especially in that particular area. This condition is usually treated very successfully with a long course of antibiotics (usually longer than three weeks). Although I cannot absolutely rule out the possibility of cancer, by far the most common cause is simply infection and irritation of the skin. In some of the older dogs, as their health starts failing and especially with arthritis, they tend to lie down more often and this may cause irritation and some infection in the skin. I suggest you go see your vet with this dog, cure may only be a course of antibiotics away.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town