Question
Posted by: Vicky | 2007/03/12

Old cat displaying new behaviour

My cat is 11 years old,Ive had her since she was born, Ive recently had to move for many reasons, and we are now in a flat, she hates not having a garden and is unhappy, and has started to wee on my bed, she wee's if I have any guests, and she is now even weeing on me at night. She has started screaming at me if Im busy or on the phone. I give her as much attention as possible, I play with her when Im at home and have even tried spoiling her with special foods - nothing is stopping her behaviour. There is nothing medicaly wrong with her either. She has always been a loving cat, devoted to me and totaly house trained. I love her very much but I cant cope with her - Im at a loss for options - what would you advise?Please help !

Please use the Feliway vapouriser in your flat. Your vet will be able to explain how to use it and for how long.

3
Posted by: sun | 2007/03/14

Oh dear that does not sound good - I dont like the sound of the "solution" to the problem. Why dont you ban her from your bedroom for a while and maybe confine her to say the bathroom at night when you can not watch her - keep the litter tray handy and can you not - if you have a balcony- try and turn it into something like a garden for her - with lots of plants and even try and grow grass in trays - maybe she will get used to the idea of a flat and settle down. Does she use a litter tray? I assume she never had one when you lived in a house? She is 11 years old so it is not as if she is a very young cat and should not be that active. It is obviously a phsycological problem but I am sure it can be overcome - good luck and dont have her put down yet/find a new home- she has been part of your life for a long time and it is worth a try.

Reply to sun
Posted by: Vicky | 2007/03/13

thank you Kate for the advice, I think I have a good idea of the problem, its the solution that Im struggeling with.

Reply to Vicky
Posted by: Kate | 2007/03/13

Maybe buy or build her a kitty gym/condo/scratch post - google to get ideas.

Shame she sounds really stressed, another idea is to contact w w w Dot animalspirit Dot Co Dot Za - it costs a little but they will get to the root of the problem and hopefully a solution.
I did a communication with my dog with wonderful results.

Kate

Reply to Kate