Question
Posted by: Sanna | 2005/12/07

Old age emotions?

My father was never an emotional person, and although he played with us and read us stories when we were children, he was not the hugging, touchy-feely kind of man. He still isn't that, but what is kind of weird to me is how emotional he has become. He is a very healthy and sprightly 84, but now cries easily. I'm not too clued up on hormones and stuff. Do men in old age become emotional, or should I worry about my dad? I don't mind men being emotional (although, admittedly, I wouldn't like my man to burst out crying the way I often do!), but since this is something new in my dad, I'm not sure how to react. It's not only for sad things, he would also cry in a movie, when hearing nice music, etc. My mom, to whom he has been married 55 years, is the really emotional one, so we're used to that, but not to him being emotional.

Most of us become more emotional in old age, as it can be part of senility. So long as it's still in appropriate settings and with appropriate causes, it's probably OK. If he starts getting undult forgetful, too, then maybe a checkup with the doctor might be useful.

3
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/07

my dad is becoming more emotional as he gets older too... never go a hug my entire life... and never heard the words "i love you"... although he showed me his love and caring in many different ways... i never felt unloved... but now... when he visits me or I visit him he gives me a kiss and a hug... and tells me he loves me... it all started after he had a cancer scare.... so maybe when people start to realise their mortality... and realise that they might not be around for much longer... they become more sensitive to the human experience in general..........

Reply to ...
Posted by: Frosty | 2005/12/07

Haai ou Sanna. Moenie warrie nie jong. Hulle se mos hoe ouer 'n mens raak, hoe meer raak jy soos 'n kind.

Reply to Frosty
Posted by: carol | 2005/12/07

My dad became like this , and i often though it was sadness due to a life he perhaps wasnt happy with , we just gave him lotsa love is all , and allowed him to be emotional.

My hubby is also emotional , dont let it bother you , just love them.

Reply to carol