Question
Posted by: Bozo | 2007/03/06

Old Age

Morning,

If you recall I wrote to you in early December last year regarding my dog Bozo who is now going on to be 14 years old plus he is deaf and blind. Well since then he has just gone backwards and I am now left with no choice but to do the right thing for him. I am just having so much trouble trying to get him to our local SPCA. Reason being is that he is a big dog and we are battling to lift him to put him into the car. He is obviously sore and it breaks my hart to have him go through all this. I have spoken to our local VET and he says that he is not able to give me anything to ease the journey for him as the drugs are on pescription only. The SPCA is also not able to give me anything to help. Could you perhaps tell me whether the state vet would be able to assist in such a case?

You can ask your local vet to come to your home and administer the drugs needed to put Bozo to sleep - that way he can be relieved of his discomfort without having to be transported.

3
Posted by: Bozo | 2007/03/06

I live 45km outside East London

Reply to Bozo
Posted by: liz | 2007/03/06

Maybe try anoter vet? Where are you living?

Reply to liz
Posted by: Acineth | 2007/03/06

Your local vet should be able to give you something to ease the dog's pain because vets are allowed to give out prescription drugs. Perhaps you could contact the PDSA? If all else fails, perhaps you can find a vet who will come to your house to euthenase the dog. Phone around, some do house calls, although they do charge for them.

Reply to Acineth