Question
Posted by: smokey | 2004/01/28

OLD AGE

My persian cat is nearly 18 years of age and is having problems with one of his back legs,he does not seem to be in pain but has difficulty in walking as he wobbles quite a bit.He has taken to weeing in the house which is causing quite a smell and we are forever putting newspaper on the floor,fortunately it is always on the tiled areas.
He is becoming very frail,I have recently taken him to the vet as one day he seemed to go very limp and when I picked him up he weed everywhere, but they said that he was"fine" for a cat his age,he was given a couple of injections and returned home the next day ,they seemed to think that his condition was ok ,I feel bad to ask to have him put down as everyone says if they continue to eat they are fine,I would appreciate your opinion on this theory.

Hi Smokey
This is always a difficult decision to make and one which only you can make. As pet owners we feel the loss of an animal almost as much as a person and it will be sad when your old cat dies. However you need to weigh up what is your discomfort and pain and what is his. Sometimes we selfishly hang onto our pets because we can't let them go. On the other hand spending a few more weeks cleaning up after him may not be so terrible, especially if he's not in pain or discomfort. You can ask the vet to come and euthanase him at your home, where it will be peaceful and you can say goodbye in a comfortable environment. It is a sad time - enjoy your last times together.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST