Question
Posted by: worried | 2007/04/22

Okay I know this has been discussed....

a lot lately but I can't help to worry!

I watched Carte Blanche as well tonight and quite frankly it did not make me feel any better about the food scare. I pay a lot of money to keep my dear baby healthy and safe but I just don't feel it's safe to buy pet food anymore. I'm seriously considering going back to the traditional food of "pap and sous"! I don't mind paying money for my dog's food but I'm very worried. I don't want to be the next owner that has to say "oh, sorry but this food was also unsafe". I feed my dog EUKANUBA. How can we be certain that our dogs are safe?

I have a Boston Terrier and they're prone to stomach ailments so how am I going to know when it's something serious or my dog just being a boston?

This is so frustrating and scary! You think you pay for the best and spend so much money on your animal (which to me is part of my family so I have no problem paying!) just to find out it doesn't gaurantee anything!! Then the people that don't care about they're animals and just give them any random human food and never take them to the vet is the ones that are left with their animals alive! Doesn't seem fair at all, does it?

I do share your conncerns. It is very unfortunate when toxicoses occur especially when initially the toxin is unknown. As I mentioned last week one can only rule out a toxin if you test for it specifically. When the recent problems began, the signs seen were those of acute kidney failure and the crystals found in urine were not immediately recognisable. Fortunately further tests were performed that lead to the presence of melamine being found and the source narrowed to ingredients sourced in China. The pet food manufacturers have been asked by the South African Veterinary Association to ensure that all ingredients are now tested for melamine.

Just as there are periodic food toxicoses in man (Ecoli and Salmonella cause sporadic "out breaks" of food poisoning) there have been periodic problems with pet food. For the sake of our pets we hope that these are very few and far between!

As I also mentioned last week, millions of dollars/pounds are spent in developing foods that are extremely beneficial to our pets. It is even possible that the Eukanuba that your pet eats is one that has been formulated to help those pets with bowel conditions.

My condolences to all those who have suffered the loss of a dear pet recently and wishing those pets that have renal problems now a speedy recovery.

3
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/23

Hi All

I know you must all be scared, and don't know what to do! I am a RAW feeder and although am not put off by the sight of meat the smell of the organs etc. can get pretty overwhelming, but then again it smells far better than Iams, Eukanuba or Hills, (we fed my late Ridgeback Hill's JD and that would make me soo nauseous!).

Perhaps just getting used to the smells, sight and textures for a while. I've spoken to many a RAW feeder who in the beginning used to use rubber gloves & face masks and now feed without giving it much thought.

I think once your subconcious has realised the benefits and peace of mind, you'll find your mind will get over it quickly.

Please email me at joniv at telkomsa.net should you want any information on RAW feeding as well as some other alternatives.

Sun - just a warning, my dogs got very very ill on tinned Husky once, seems like every now and again they had a bad tin. Remember Pedigree is owned by the same company that owns Royal Canin (Master Foods), although they are made in different factories. Ever thought of trying ProPac Earthborn Holistic, a bit pricey but worth it, available from good pet shops! Pedigree also contains many preservatives and colourants, just thought you should know!

Keep well and let me know if I can help with any advice!

Reply to Joni
Posted by: SUN | 2007/04/23

I have started feeding mine tinned Husky and Pedigree dry(the softcentred one) and they love it but is it safe - i am now totally neurotic about any dogfood!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/04/23

I watched Carte Blanche as well. That was awfully scary !! I feed my dogs and cats on the Hills Prescription and Science diets. I know that so far only one cat product from Hills was discontinued overseas, but I am now very nervous seeing the stuff that according to Carte Blanche, is put into the premium foods. I am very woriied about what to feed my dogs. I have seen a lot on this website about RAW diet, but am scared to do that as well. Plus, I can't handle the sight of raw meat. What is a furkid owner to do nowadays ???????

Reply to Natasha