Question
Posted by: Rog | 2005/12/12

OK now i'm stressing

This whole fuel shortage thing is beginning to stress me out...

I drive a 1998 golg chico that takes 97. Now what happens in Jan 06? Do i then have to put in unleaded?? Won't that destroy my engine?

I know there's that whole additive thing, but will i then have to add this stuff every time i fill up?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Don't stress! If your car can't take unleaded, then you'll use lead replacement petrol that will be available.

You may need to have your engine timing adjusted (although this is generally only applicable to pre-1996 vehicles). To find out the specific requirements for your vehicle, have a look at the website of the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of SA (Naamsa): www.naamsa.co.za. They have a database of most makes of cars and what fuels to use. This info should also soon be available in brochures at petrol stations.

The plan is for lead replacement petrol to be eventually phased out. At that point, if your car can't use unleaded, then the manufacturer may advise you to use a bottled anti-wear additive with unleaded petrol. But initially, lead replacement petrol should be fine.

2
Posted by: Envirohealth Expert | 2005/12/13

It isn't expensive. Also, the Retail Motor Industry organisation apparently has a list of workshops on their website that will do the adjustment for free. I say 'apparently' because I haven't been able to access it. You can also try calling them.

Reply to Envirohealth Expert
Posted by: oldie | 2005/12/13

I feel like we are being penalised for having old cars i.e. being poor! How much will this engine timing cost and why can't the government pay!?

Reply to oldie