Question
Posted by: Sara | 2004/02/24

ok just one or two more questions!

the screaming if he touches or snuggles with me while im sleeping... isnt that a normal thing?? Like walking down a dark alley and sumone jumping out at u... ur natural reaction is to scream... ok.. when i scream i actually stop in between to take breaths so i can keep screaming...that part may not be normal... lol

Dear Screamin' Sara.
Well, it's surely normal when sleeping with a stranger ( I'm not talking promiscuity here, but like when in an emergency, sharing a bed when you're not used to doing so, to perhaps jump or flinch a little when unexpectedly touched in the middle of the night. But one soon gets used to the odd nudge in the night, and stops reacting to it --- otherwise the night skies would be echoing to the howls and shrieks of all of our neighbours, reacting everytime their spouse touched them in sleep. Let alone when the cat jumps on the bed.
In other words, one grows used to familiar stimuli, just as new noises at night ought to wake one ( that's a handy safeguard ) but if your fridge always gurgles and shakes at night, you soon ignore it without even noticing it.
SO it's the fact that your reaction to the occasional snuggle or nudge has NOT habituated and faded out, and the extremity of the reaction ( a spell of creaming rather than a muttered "Aaauw Pete !", that is unusual.
As for pausing to draw breath between shrieks, I'd think that was a more standard part of screaming, otherwise one would pass out or at least subside into silent panting !