Question
Posted by: Nancy | 2005/12/02

office woes

There is this new person at work that I have to work with on a certain level and I have realised that she is quite petty and back stabbing. What is the best way to deal with someone like this? Is it better to avoid them whenever possible? There is no point discussing it like adults as I can see that she is quite immature in that sense and it woudl be a total waste of time. I don't want to get into a confrontation but it is becoming unpleasant sitting across from her. It is almost as if she wants to start a fight with me over petty things like taking lunch. If I am a few minutes late she makes a mountain out of it but quite happily leave work early or comes in late. I have learnt to be careful what I say to her as she is quite nasty. It is not just me that notices what she is like.

The best way to work with such a person is on a strictly business basis --- polite, cool, giving her as few opportunities as possible to be unpleasant, and to avoid unnecessary contact. IF she makes a fuss about lunch, applying a different standard to your timekeping and to hers, maybe discuss this calmly with your bopss or supervisor or HR dept.