Question
Posted by: Caz | 2007/05/17

Office Layout

HI Expert
I am looking for info (principles or guidelines) how to layout an office with peopleengaged in a diverse bunch of roles and duties. You have some people doing routine tasks (admin) who obviously use the telephone a lot, then you have senior accountants, then you have computer programmers (deep thought), then a computer phone-in helpdesk...
All of this in an open-plan area with cubicle dividers. I guess I need advice on how the different types of work people do in modern offices should affect how the office is laid out (i.e. who sits where).

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

There is loads of info* on this, but it's more the field of ergonomics than environmental health - though, of course, health and safety considerations come into it in terms of, e.g., how much space people need for optimal work performance, correct seating and computer terminal use (I do have info on that should you need it!). But I think your request would be best dealt with one of the workplace experts we have online at present (see the list of Experts): the Workplace Health Expert or the Safety Expert. There is also a Labour Lawyer and an Environmental Hygienist.

*For instance:

Office Space Planning: Designs for Tomorrow's Workplace by Alexi Ferster Marmot and Joanna Eley

Offices at Work: Uncommon Workspace Strategies that Add Value and Improve Performance (Jossey Bass Business and Management Series) by Franklin Becker and Tom Kelley

Beyond the open office. (office layout innovations by Howard, Needles, Tammen and Bergendoff Interiors, Indianapolis) (Industry Overview): An article from: Indiana Business Magazine by Jo Gilbert (2005)

Organize Your Office! Simple Routines for Managing Your Workspace (Revised and Updated) by Ronni Eisenberg