Question
Posted by: Birdie | 2007/08/07

Office Chair

Good day doc,

I was wondering whether you could recommend a good back support cushion that I can place in my office chair to reduce lowe back pain.

I find my chair is not very ergonomic, which has a direct impact on my posture.

Your help will be much appreciated,
Birdie

Hi Birdie

Mmmm, difficult one. I know specialists in ergonomics who would cringe at any attempt to give you specific advice on this one! The reason is, as I'm sure any expert in ergonomics will tell you, is that there is not one single solution for any person. That's why the best case is to have someone assess your workstation, look at your specific case. Your height, the height of your chair, your computer, your arm length, the height of your desk are all important and could, in theory, all be contributing to back back. So perhaps it's oversimplified to suggest it's a case of just buying a cushion you can use? I realise this is not very helpful, but in my limited experience, having been assessed and seen a few assessments, it's things like the position of your computer and desk in relation to your chair that count. So without knowing these, I'd be guessing. Ideally, you need to have your computer just below the level of your eyes, with your chair at a height that allows your feet to rest comfortably on the floor, upper legs roughly horizontal, and then your elbow height should be slightly above desk height. This will then put you in a position where your back is straight and you are sitting correctly. So check first that these other factors are optimal.

once that is done, then a small cusion for the lower back, which goes right at the base/small of the back is often what it takes to correct the slouching position. A lot of this is also a conscious decision that you make to focus on posture and ensure that you don't slouch, so hopefully that helps.

Ross