Question
Posted by: Lorraine | 2007/08/08

Oesteoporosis

I am a 60 yr old. Have been diagnosed with chronic oteoporosis abut 5-6 yrs ago and have been taking fosamax for almost as long. I also take B-Cal-D tablets daily. What can you tell me about Glucosamine, do you know if I should continue taking fosamax or is there an improved drug on the market. Thanks

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Lorraine
Glucosamine is a supplemnt that is used by patients suffering from osteo-arthritis and it is used to increase joint mobility.
Fosamax is a bone-active drug to treat the osteoporosis- something totally different. Fosamax is an excellent drug. If you have been on it for 6 years, you may go off it for a while, unless your doctor feels that it is necessary to maintain your bone density. You can also contact us at the osteoporosis foundation on 021 931 7894 for more information