Posted by: Li-Anne | 2009/05/05

Oesophageal spasm?

Hi, I have been struggling to swallow for about 7 months now, and the ENT I have been seeing has done a Barium Swallow and gastrscopy, but can' t find the cause. He suggested it may be Oesophageal Spasm and mentioned there are tests to find out if this is the case. Can you tell me what type of doctor I need to see to do these tests to find out if this is what I have? Also, are there any cures or will this carry on for the rest of my life?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Li-Anne
You need to see a Gastroenterologist. Please take your barium swallow and gastroscopy results with so that they don't do double tests. They may do a test where they measure the pressure in the esophagus - it is not painful, slightly uncomfortable though. See

This is treatable - see

Hope you get this sorted out, let me know how it goes?
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.