Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2007/04/25

Oedema in leg, arm and face

My mother who is 88, had a stroke 3 years ago, her left leg and arm are paralysed. She developed oedema in the leg and arm, with fluid weeping through the skin. Her face is also starting to swell. She has always had a lung problem, has a chronic wet cough, and I am worried about her lungs filling with fluid. She is in a frail care facility in Louis Trichardt, however, the doctors only visit once a week, there is no way to transport her to Polokwane, to see a specialist. What (if anything) can be done to relieve her symptoms? The nursing staff administered a pressure bandage to the leg, but that's all. Thanks.

Dear Amanda
Difficult to say without seeing her. It could be heart failure, or just because of inactivity that she has lymphoedema. Ask one of the GP's in LT to do a home visit and see her - if needed they must organize an ambulance to take her to the specialist in Polokwane. Does she have medical aid?

1
Posted by: Amanda | 2007/04/26

No medical aid, she is a "State Patient", which makes things difficult - last year she started vomiting "coffee grounds", and the local state hospital refused to make an ambulance available to take her to Polokwane, as "she was not an emergency", according to some doctor with an unpronouncable name. We consulted with the specialist in Polokwane telephonically,and managed to stabilise her. She is quite weak, and I suspect that the lack of movement may be the cause of this problem.

Reply to Amanda