Question
Posted by: Guli | 2005/12/06

oedema

Past years my mother experienced the swelling on both feet. She went to the doctor and he told her the swelling was caused by her wheight and said she had Oedema. What is Oedema? Feet are sometimes painful .What I want to know is that is this problem curable? Is there something she can take to help her? Please advice on what to take for the swelling to go away.

Expert ImageArchive

Oedema means swelling, and there are many diferent causes of oedema. The type your mom has is probably water retention due to high blood pressure, or poor return of blood from the feet and legs to the heart, and the weight is certainly a factor in both of these.
Her best treatment will undoubtedly be to lose weight by eating correctly and exercising. Exercise will help the blood return to the heart as muscle activity in the calf muscles assist this process.
Her feet hurt because of the swelling and this is a managable problem. There is no medicine that is a magic cure, but the ball needs to be placed in her court and she has to take charge of her problem and do something about the weight