Question
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/11/27

OCD

Your advice please CS. I unfortunately suffer from OCD and consider this to be an irritating niggle that is very frustrating and often slows me down with the things I have to do. I have also found that when I'm seriously stressed the suddenly the OCD pops its evil little head into super drive! I discussed this with my shrink a few days ago. The response I received from him was not satisfactory or I do not understand what he is getting at. He told me to just stop doing it. Just stop doing it is like telling me to SNAP OUT OF IT!!! I told him that he does not understand the driving force behind all the rituals and naturally he said that he does understand.

My problem is that my medication works to a degree, but not fully, when the OCD strikes I find myself lost. Its as if my brain/thoughts/thinking process cant stop. I cant rest. Should I be having added medication with the Efexor 300mg at the moment, or would that not be a good option. I just find that all this does not help with the depression that is also on a continuous up and down. It just wont stop. I have appointment with psychologist tomorrow, thank goodness. I would appreciate your advice.

In addition to medication, this is why I favour CBT, as there are also psychological techniques one can learn to stop such unwelcome thoughts, incdeed, some called Thought Stopping. And thinking of the "snap out of it" comment which is always so annoying, one which works for many people ( so long as they dont't let themselves get hung up over how it sounds so simple as to be silly ) --- you place a wide rubber band round your wrist, and when the intrusive and unwelcome ( and essentially useless ) thought starts to sneak in again, you tug and snap the band against your wrist, producing a short, sharp and slightly painful snap ! --- which is distracting, and at the same time shout ) mentally, so as not to startle near-neighbours !) STOP !
It is possible, with effort, to learn to stop these troublesome and fruitless thoughts. See what other specific techniques your psychologist can suggest .

1
Posted by: anon | 2007/11/27

Hi Hope,

Wishing you well with the psychologist tomorrow.

As CS recommends CBT, hopefully your pscyhologist practises CBT.

You need to consciously, everytime you do your rituals, relating to your OCD, stop and ask yourself WHY am doing xzy, what is going on right now, HOW can I replace zxy with something else, try and focus on WHAT you are FEELING, once you can identify the FEELING at that time, acknowledge the feeling, eg. STRESS, ok now I am feeling stressed, there are other ways of dealing with it, deep breathing for instance, counting to 10 slowly, inhale and exhale slowly.

Reply to anon