Posted by: Distressed | 2007/06/12

Occupational Asthma

Hi<br>Thank you very much for your prompt reply.<br>I think that there are few other facts that I need to mention in order for you to best advise me.

When I first started experiencing breathing problems at my previous company I went to see a Pulmonologist. He said that I have occupation asthma (or "features of occupational asthma). His report also mentioned allergic asthma and hypersensitive mucous embranes. A chest xray and lung function tests were done. I don't think there was any evidence of respiratory damage.

At his recommendation I was (eventually) moved to a somewhat improved location. I contacted both the City Council and the Dept of Labour who both carried out factory inspections. The City Council found major problems with the ventilation and instructions were given to the company requesting new ventilation plans. The Dept. of Labour instructed the company to have air tests done. These have been done and I should be receiving a copy of the report in the next couple of days.

I am, however, concerned that the results will not reflect the extremely high level of irritants that I was exposed to when I first started working there (Ammonia etc).

Both the pulmonologist and my previous employee were unwilling to handle any occupational health claims. The person who deals with Workmans Comp claims at my previous company was very unhelpful and stated that "we don't have occupational diseases here".Neither were interested in filling in any of the forms issued by the Dept of Labour.

I have spent thousand of rands on doctors and medicines so far.
My present emloyer seems quite fair but they are a small company and I don't think that they can do anything else to accommodate me. The printing fumes permeate the whole building.
How do I do about finding a pulmonologist/occupational medicine doctor who is prepared to follow all the correct procedures?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Thank you for all the info. At this time I would contact WORKHEALTH at the University of Cape Town, Lung Institute. They will gladly advise AND assist.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.