Question
Posted by: Nick | 2006/04/13

Occult

I think my 17 year old son that goes to boarding school in the Eastern Cape may be involved in occult activities. He gave his gold crucifix away, told me he doesn't believe in Jesus or God anymore, listens to serious heavy metal music, his behaviour has changed and he is generally moody, aggressive and non-responsive. Do you know of a church service i.e. by Dr Kobus Jonker that is taking place in JHB during April some time?

Its possible that he is dabbling in some unwholesome experimentation, though teenagers also may at least temporarily abandon their religious beliefs when they start to challenge what they've always accepted without much thought. And heavy metal music, though I find most of it very boring, is very popular, and not necessarily of any sinister significance. I don't know whether a church service would solve the problem, whoever led it. I am highly sceptical of some of the chruch folks and policemen who immensely magnify and exaggerate the threat of "occuly powers" as a way to increase their own powers and profits. Don't listen to False Profits !
Contact the school, who should have a counsellor or someone on staff with similar functions,who can talk with him --- counselling would be the way to go if he has become troubled in some way. He needs exercise, not exorcism.

4
Posted by: withheld for this | 2006/04/15

Hi Nick!

I have been through what you have just described. (me being in your sons position that is) and although I cannot explain why i went through what my mom refers to as my "black phase" I know to outsiders it looks scarier than what it is. In hindsight it was quite innocent as there was no devil worshipping, sacrifices or anything else dark or sinister involved.

I was going through a truely rebellious, perhaps even attention seeking phase which lasted a couple of years.

Is he the only one at school who is like this or is it something going on with his friends aswell?

My mom took the religous aproach which didnt go down to well because i was not a satanist or anything of the like. She found blood in my room because for some bazaar reason myself and a friend of mine thought it a good idea to mix our blood as some sort of a friendship pact. This combined with the music, clothes, "unacceptable" behaviour and my mom drew her own conclusions. Oh, i also had a collection on mythical books which just sealed the deal plus I "rejected" the church which meant I had "turned my back on God".

Now an adult thinking back on it it makes me cringe. I cant believe that I was THAT person. But what I do know is that I was a very angry / sad little kid.

Anyway, my mom aproached the church and dragged me to talks by a police officer specialising in the occult. He warned parents to look for certain signs and I displayed almost all of them. I had to go to church which I hated because it was something forced on me, not because i would start frothing at the mouth.

She called the police in to come talk to me at our house as well as some elders from our local church who convinced her that I was infact a devil worshiper. One of them even started talking in tongues and performed an exorcism. I clearly remember one day I was home from school with a migraine and they told my mom to leave work immediately to supervise me because my true reason for being off was to find cats for sacrificial purposes as it was some satanic holy day.

I learnt more about the occult during this time than I ever would on my own accord over a period of a life time.

She took me to a psychologist who repeatedly said "and how does that make you feel" until I lost my cool. (There was alot of anger boiling under the surface)

I started hating my mother for doing this to me. She didnt trust me and took the word of these head cases who didnt know me over mine.

All she succeeded in doing was driving me away from her and I became more and more rebellious.

In the end the "dark phase" ended on its own as I grew out of it. My mom and I are best friends and have a wonderful relationship, but that took years and years of healing.

I would suggest you keeping open lines with your son. Remind him often how much you love and care about him. Ask him about stuff, talk about things. Tell him you trust him and that you are proud of him. Work on keeping your relationship close and strong.

I know its not easy, but everything will work out just fine.

Reply to withheld for this
Posted by: Nick | 2006/04/13

Thanks for the advise Nina, I do appreciate it.

After having read through some of the other posts, I don't think that this forum is going to assist much but thanks again for your advise.

Reply to Nick
Posted by: kylie | 2006/04/13

Wow, Nina, you should have become a preacher.

Too bad you dont practice what you preach! lol

Reply to kylie
Posted by: lady nina | 2006/04/13

hi nick

it's shocking that the school is not even aware of what is happening, maybe you should have a talk to some of his friends parents and all stand together

what are the chances of him being saved one church service? and what are the chances of kobus having one in jhb??

firstly he needs to be informed of what he is busy with so he can make an informed choice - he can't be done with emotion but needs to be purely facts, maybe see if you can find someone who has been involved and has come out to tell the story - there was a artlicle in the FINNESS awhile back about a guy called derek de lange - he is based in jhb - maybe try and trace this guy and ask advice

i don't believe you should show fear or anger .... it's now time to find peace inside yourself and stay on your knees

nina

Reply to lady nina