Question
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/11/17

OBSERVATION / SUGGESTION/H24 ADMINISTRATORS

Just as a matter of interest, it is now 15:37 and since this morning 19 postings were placed on this forum. Of the 19, exactly 14 are reslationship related and has absolutely nothing to do with mental health. This has been a fairly routine pattern on this forum.

Since there are so many people out there with relationship problems, what is the possibility of creating an "Agony Aunt" forum as opposed to wasting someone like CS's enormous talents and education on having to respond to postings like "me and my boyfriend have known each other for three months now and I think he doesn't like me anymore - what am I doing wrong?

Relationships are important and people need advise on relationships on a daily basis - come on guys, the demand is there, imagine how your hit rate will increase once people realise they can get a quick reply from the Health 24 webpages as opposed to writing to some aunty at a magazine.

Please consider.

Excellent thought, Lucia. When I first conceived of this service, and when we first started it, we didn;t plan for me to become an Agony Uncle ! We will discuss and consider this, over time. Certainly the amount of time the forum is taking me is far beyond anything any other specialist here has to provide, and I grow anxious at times that it delays my responding to more serious and urgent matters, to have too many "agony Aunt" problems. Yet one can't easily draw a line between genuine mental health issues and whatever you might call the Agony Auntie problems. I think genuine Relationship problems, probably usually belong here. Maybe the "my boyfriend didn't reply to my SMS today" problems don't belong, as they're often due mainly to immaturity and over-valuing tiny matters. Maybe we need a Cell-Phone auntie, to deal with all questions relating to Cell-phones and SMS ?

7
Posted by: cathy | 2004/11/18

I also second Lucia's idea.
CS has been excellent and I really appreciate all the advise from him and others.

However, separating relationship problems and mental health problems is advisable. Yes, the line will be thin because its those relationship problems that usually cause these mental instabilities. And only the writer will understand the depth of the problem - the example used of a lady worried about a boyfriend of 3 months can actually be of someone suicidal - it's happened.

I'm just pointing out that while it's the ideal situation, it might be easer said than done. Regardless, I enjoy the forum.

Reply to cathy
Posted by: Val | 2004/11/18

How refreshing to meet a kindred spirit: this is EXACTLY what I have been griping about for some time now. As a result I have been accused of all sorts of malfeasances and undesirable character traits.

I applaud your ability to be praised. It would appear that the unadorned truth - or bluntness - is unappetising and causes nauseau which leads projectile vomiting.

Excuse me while I wipe my screen.

Reply to Val
Posted by: Nita | 2004/11/17

I gree,

Must just say I've been enjoying this forum, was always at sexologists forum, but things just seemed to get crude and out of hand there at one stage.

Thanx for all the comments & advice, appreciated.

Reply to Nita
Posted by: NLM | 2004/11/17

Lucia, you are so correct in your statement and i second that, but if you read the cv of CS you will notice that he has enourmes experience and talents and his responses are 10 out of 10, so i think the people have noticed that and most probably the reason for all the postings.

However, i will also appreciate it if people take note of your statement--well said.

Reply to NLM
Posted by: lulu | 2004/11/17

Well done, Lucia. I agree with you completely. Hope this suggestion gets considered.

Reply to lulu
Posted by: XXX | 2004/11/17

I second that!!!!

Reply to XXX
Posted by: KGs | 2004/11/17

Sometimes we are just desperate, and writing to Cs it help as we can responded at the same time rather than writting on Magazine thats which will take us about 1 week.

Thanks for helping us
Best Wishes

Reply to KGs